Repair request

Our service:

  • 24/7
  • national coverage
  • Technical Support

Urgent malfunctions can be reported to us 24/7. Urgent malfunctions include: power or central heating failure, burglary, gas leakage, roof or water leakage and breakage of sewers / water pipes.

You can report malfunctions or repairs as follows:

by phone

Via phone number 088 – 200 70 50 (maintenance department). At 'busy' you can leave a message on the answering machine.

Via email



With the form below. Preferably provided with photos of the relevant malfunction.


Form for reporting malfunction or repair request.

  • Urgent failure? Contact us by telephone on: 088 - 200 70 50.
  • Max. file size: 1 MB.

Booklet maintenance guide

In the maintenance guide you can read who is responsible for maintenance and repairs to your home. For example, there are things that we expect from you as a tenant (such as cleaning your home, ensuring that the drain does not become blocked), but other things will be taken care of through us (such as major maintenance).

Do you want to know exactly what belongs to whom? You can easily check this in this brochure.